The Forge Centre
The Forge Centre team offer social work support to people who are infected and affected by HIV and/or Hepatitis C.
The team consists of 3 social workers who specialise in HIV support and 1 Hepatitis C social worker.
They see people who access their HIV care in Sheffield, either at the Department of GU Medicine or at The Department of Infection and Tropical Medicine on E floor of the Hallamshire Hospital. People can either self-refer or be referred through their consultant / specialist nurse / health adviser.
The main issues that the Forge Centre deals with are:
- Emotional and practical support for people living with HIV
- Help and support on ‘coming to terms’ with an HIV diagnosis
- Support for HIV positive children and their families
- Assistance with benefit claims and guidance through the new changes to the benefit system
- Escorting clients to medicals set by the Department of Work and Pensions and attending tribunals and appeals
- Work with clients on issues around the Equality Act for people who are facing problems in employment
- Assistance with financial and housing problems
- Assessments for self-directed personalised budgets for clients who need care packages
- Provision of a small Hardship Fund that can be accessed for some clients facing destitution who are at risk because of their health
- Advocacy and challenging HIV related stigma
Click here for full contact details for the Forge Centre team